Re: Fully winding down my involvement in GTK+

On 07/21/2012 06:50 AM, Emmanuele Bassi wrote:
> One thing that us involved in the development of gtk should resume
> doing are the biweekly IRC meetings, and send the minutes on the
> making list; this at least would increase awareness of the changes
> planned or being developed in the platform. Application developers
> should, in return, raise agenda points and point at bugs and mail,
> and possibly attend the meetings if clarifications are required.

I think this would be very helpful.  Although it sounds like a fair
amount of work for developers who are actually writing code and trying
to get things done.  I used to love reading the Wine weekly news
updates, which summarized the bug fixes, list traffic, and IRC traffic,
but they've long since stopped because of the time and effort involved.

I'm not sure what the best solution is.  I take your points about the
limitations of e-mail, and even IRC.  Qt (probably the only competing
toolkit in all honesty) has the advantage of having a lot of their
developers close together and development can happen in a fairly
traditional way.  Though I'm not at all sure how they deal with external
developers scattered across the world.