Re: File chooser recent-files

On 21/11/12 20:36, Federico Mena Quintero wrote:
> On Mon, 2012-11-19 at 10:52 +0000, Simon McVittie wrote:
>
>> If this sort of change is important, it sounds to me as though Gtk 2
>> should continue to have (short!) branches corresponding to a GNOME
>> release when necessary?
>
> GTK+ 2.24.x still has releases!
>
> Do you mean that they should appear in sync with Gnome releases?  That
> would certainly be nice, to keep things rolling.

What I mean is: if GNOME 3.6 shipped with GTK+ 2.24.x and GTK+ 3.6, and
GNOME 3.8 needs changes to GTK+ 2 that are bigger than you would
normally allow in the GTK+ 3.6 branch, I would tend to expect those
changes to be a GTK+ 2.25 branch that is released as 2.26.0 alongside
GNOME 3.8.

Distributions that support an older version of GNOME for longer than 6
months (RHEL, Debian, Ubuntu LTS etc.) would presumably want to get the
non-intrusive bugfixes for that older version's corresponding GTK+ 2 (if
any), but not, for instance, a file chooser that changes behaviour to
match a version of GTK+ 3 newer than theirs.