Re: Is GTK+ a cross-platform toolkit ?

hi;

On 9 March 2013 11:22, John Emmas <johne53 tiscali co uk> wrote:

Thanks, didn't know GTK+ used the odd/even versioning method, you people
are all really helpful !

Just out of curiosity - I'm assuming that when the minor number becomes
even, it probably doesn't stay even for very long.

once a stable release is done, Matthias creates a branch for it - e.g.
gtk-3-6; subsequent stable releases are made from that branch. the
minor version is untouched on those branches, only the micro version
is incremented. after the branch for the stable release cycle is done,
the minor version on master is bumped to the following odd number.

 Suppose I wanted to
check out (or revert) to the last version with an even minor number.  Is
there a simple way to find it?  With Subversion there'd usually be a
corresponding revision number but I'm not sure how that works for Git.

releases are tagged in the repository, e.g. the latest release has a
'3.7.12' tag associated to it. tags are git objects that can be used
to start a branch, or that can be checked out. you can do bisection
using tags as the end points, and you can look at the commit log
between tags as well.

my suggestion if you are working with the Git repository of GTK+ is to
read at a Git book, like "Pro Git"; or check out the documentation on
http://www.git-scm.com/ and the GNOME wiki at
https://live.gnome.org/Git

ciao,
 Emmanuele.