Re: Storage API

On Wed, 2013-05-01 at 16:31 +0200, Bastien Nocera wrote:
Heya,

I've started writing a simple database-like application in Javascript
using GTK+, and I wondered about what to use for storage.

gjs currently doesn't have bindings for SQLite, and using intermediate
bindings like libgda I found too low-level (provider-specific SQL,

libgda's GdaSqlBuilder makes this a bit more pleasant and safer,
avoiding most provider-specific stuff. Of course, it doesn't hide SQL
entirely.

 the
need to write SQL and highly manual schemas upgrade paths). Dumping
serialised Javascript objects to the filesystem isn't really elegant
either.

I was wondering whether an API based on HTML5's IndexedDB[1] (and maybe
a GtkTreeModel to display the database contents/filtered results) would
be of interest in GLib.

If it's of interest, I'd like to start discussing and designing the API
with interested parties.

Cheers

[1]: http://www.html5rocks.com/en/tutorials/offline/storage/#indexed-db

--