Re: Spell checking in GIO

My only question is why GIO and not GDK? This kind of per-platform API would happily reside in GDK and prevent us from adding even more extension points to GIO. There's really nothing I/Oish about this API (despite GIO already being the home for lost GObjects since there's no GDesktop library between Glib and GTK+), and I can't think of any obvious applications that would want spell checking and not want GTK+.

Is there a good reason for spell checking to be this low in the stack?

-A. Walton

On Mon, Oct 7, 2013 at 6:36 PM, Matthew Barnes <mbarnes redhat com> wrote:
On Mon, 2013-10-07 at 22:38 +0200, Sébastien Wilmet wrote:
> The first step is to wrap enchant in GIO. For this, the code in the
> spell gedit plugin, or in gtkhtml is a good start. I currently have the
> time to work on this.

Seconded.  I'd love to see that discussion start moving again.

I wrote the spell checking code for gtkhtml.  It's based on the "GSpell"
patches in the bug you referenced and has been working fine in Evolution
for the past 4-5 years.

The Enchant API is really showing it's age, though.  A more modern GIO
based async API would be most welcome.

I'm happy to help if I can.

Matthew Barnes