Re: Spell checking in GIO

On 10/08/2013 12:36 AM, A. Walton wrote:
My only question is why GIO and not GDK? This kind of per-platform API
would happily reside in GDK and prevent us from adding even more
extension points to GIO. There's really nothing I/Oish about this API
(despite GIO already being the home for lost GObjects since there's no
GDesktop library between Glib and GTK+)

It's been suggested that GIO "really" stands for "GLib's Interesting
Objects" or something like that. Anyway, there is no expectation at this
point that things added to it are especially I/O-related. libglib is for
generically-useful stuff that doesn't depend on GObject, libgobject is
basically reserved for the object system itself and stuff very closely
tied to it (eg, GBinding), and libgio is for generically-useful stuff
that does depend on GObject.