Re: Removal of icons in buttons/menus

On Wed, Oct 9, 2013 at 10:55 PM, Bastien Nocera <hadess hadess net> wrote:
On Wed, 2013-10-09 at 22:45 +0200, Michael Natterer wrote:
On 10/09/2013 10:40 PM, Bastien Nocera wrote:
On Wed, 2013-10-09 at 22:14 +0200, Olivier Brunel wrote:
Ok, but this isn't about a change in GNOME, but in GTK. And the
default
for those options was still TRUE a few days ago in GTK 3.8

As we're on this subject, I think it's pretty clear, from the committers
to where the mailing-lists are hosted that GTK+ is the GNOME toolkit.
People deeply involved in other desktops that rely on GTK+ should try to
get more involved in decisions made for the GNOME toolkit.

Oh please, not this silly "GNOME Toolkit" stuff again. GIMP runs on
windows and osx, so do many other applications. So please...

They're GTK+ apps running on Windows and OS X, not Windows apps, or OSX
apps.

That doesn't really change anything. GTK+ in the last decade has been *the*
choice of cross platform GUI toolkit... that's basically the reason why GTK+
and it's stack is ever popular, because it's flexible (can be used
almost anywhere),
that combined with the LGPL license and our strict policies to
maintain ABI stability.

These are the kind of things which attract people and companies to use our
software, to rely on our software and eventually even to participate and
contribute in furthering our software.

Interestingly I can agree or disagree to your statement "The GNOME toolkit"
based on the definition of GNOME.

GNOME: "A community of free software developers and projects collaborating
                together, creating awesome software, mostly in the context of a
                desktop environment"

By the above, my own personal (vague) definition of GNOME, what I have always
known GNOME to be... then yes, GTK+ is the GNOME toolkit, it's the toolkit which
evolved in GNOME.

GNOME: "A desktop environment / User experience"

By this definition (which seems to be a common slur these days), then no,
GTK+ is certainly not just a toolbox for the purpose of assembling a
particular user experience.

Let's try not to discredit GTK+, and try not to use slurs which might
imply that GTK+ is becoming "just a toolbox for GNOME".

Cheers,
    -Tristan