Re: Removal of icons in buttons/menus

On Wed, 9 Oct 2013, Matthias Clasen wrote:

[T]he GtkSettings that we are discussing here do nothing for application developers. On the contrary, by removing the settings, we have given you as application developer _more_ control over how your application appears to your users.

If we take the (considerable) trouble to hard-code the use of icons per widget.

But I (and I think many app developers) just don't share the premise. I may think that icons in menus enhance usability (in fact I do). But if a user disagrees, and her desktop software offers her the means of suppressing those icons, that's fine by me. Why should I care? I don't call this "breaking the design of my application".

On the other hand, a clear case of breaking the design of my application is removing the possibility for any user to see the icons that I as designer think are useful unless I substantially rewrite my GTK code.

Allin Cottrell