Is this a cast?

Apologies if this is a duplicate post. I am having some email trouble.....

Hi Everyone

I have been reading GTK+ Development by Krause for some time.

Almost everything makes sense but I don't really understand this:

g_signal_connect_swapped( G_OBJECT ( button1 ) ... continues.. on......

button1 is type GtkWidget, is it being cast to type G_OBJECT ?

I am used to seeing casts like:

number1 = (int) another_num but I suppose the parenthesis can actually go around the type or the variable, correct?

If I am indeed reading this write, it seems like most widgets start off as GtkWidget types but then are recast to more specific objects during function calls, does this sound right?

-Patrick