Re: File monitor rewrite: Solaris (and other) help wanted

On 01/14/2015 02:00 PM, Ryan Lortie wrote:
I'm making substantial modifications to the file monitoring system in
GIO.  I've gotten to the point where I feel comfortable pushing a branch
that contains the main ideas:

  https://git.gnome.org/browse/glib/log/?h=wip/mount-watcher

It's not even vaguely tested or stable and will probably crash under
anything more than the most trivial of uses.  Work will continue over
the next days.

The private API between GIO and the internal file monitor backends has
changed substantially.  See the commit message for details about that.
This means that all of the backends will need non-trivial changes.  I've
already made the required modifications to the inotify backend.  I plan
to move next to the kqueue backend and I could probably even tackle the
FAM and win32 backends myself.

I have no means of testing changes to the 'fen' backend (Solaris).

It would be awesome if someone with a Solaris box and some free time
could port the fen backend to the new changes.  If nobody comes forward,
we will probably remove the backend.

I quickly read over the relevant commit message. I didn't see anything
alluding to the goal of the patch set. I'm sure there is a goal you have
in mind?

Overhead reduction, performance related I assume?

-- Christian