Re: Why these settings are deprecated?

On Tue, Dec 26, 2017 at 3:06 PM, Tomasz Gąsior <mail tomaszgasior kao pl> wrote:
I would like to ask question directly to main GTK developers. Why these Xsettings are deprecated?

* gtk-button-images
* gtk-enable-mnemonics
* gtk-icon-sizes
* gtk-menu-bar-accel
* gtk-menu-bar-popup-delay
* gtk-menu-images
* gtk-menu-popdown-delay
* gtk-menu-popup-delay
* gtk-show-input-method-menu
* gtk-show-unicode-menu
* gtk-toolbar-icon-size
* gtk-toolbar-style
* gtk-visible-focus
* gtk-alternative-button-order

What is the reason of limiting GTK customization? Why only application programmer should have ability to change these settings (as g-object properties etc.) and why user shouldn't?

And second question. Why you are forcing removing icons from images and menu items instead just disabling it by default in GNOME? Maintaining code of GtkImageMenuItem or images in buttons is too time-consuming?
(I know that programmer can pack image to button or menu item manually, but it is not the same. It isn't convenient and user have not ability to disable images added this way.)

Emmanuele already gave a fairly detailed run-down of these one-by-one, but here is my general response:

In some cases, these settings were there to support transitions for changes in UI paradigms (such as moving away from pervasive icons in buttons and menus). In other cases, they have been superseded
by platform-wide configuration (for example, we want to let users configure input methods for the whole session, not per-entry). Also, some of the features controlled by these settings have changed in a way
that the settings don't make much sense anymore (e.g focus and mnemonic indication is a lot more dynamic now than it was in gtk2 days, and icon sizes are going to be set via css in the future).