Re: gtk-devel-list Digest, Vol 157, Issue 3

On 3 May 2017 at 13:00, <gtk-devel-list-request gnome org> wrote:
From: Murray Cumming <murrayc murrayc com>
To: Timm B?der <mail baedert org>
Cc: gtk-devel-list <gtk-devel-list gnome org>
Subject: Re: gtk4: gtk_box_pack_start()/end() porting

On Fri, 2017-04-28 at 17:50 +0200, Murray Cumming wrote:
> On Fri, 2017-04-28 at 17:20 +0200, Timm B?der wrote:
> > I've added notes about the fill and expand child properties to the
> > migration guide:
> > https://git.gnome.org/browse/gtk+/commit/?id=bb1deaafa42ccb03929d3c
> > d5
> > fdab685218bbac29
>
> Thanks. I guess it's that last part about hexpand/vexpand affecting
> the
> parent widgets too that explains what I've seen so far. So there is
> really no simple mapping from the old API to the new API. Porting is
> going to be rather awkward.

Have some container widgets changed, or lost, some default
spacing/padding/margins too? For instance, it looks like GtkActionBar
used to have some hard-coded spacing between its child widgets (added
via gtk_action_bar_pack_start()), but not with gtk4.

Based on some commits I remember seeing, I think the new policy is that widgets should not enforce such properties. Which, IMO, is a good thing, though again potentially a pain for porting.