Re: gtk3 public API requests

On Thu, Apr 05, 2018 at 02:00:09AM -0700, Christian Hergert wrote:
On 04/05/2018 01:32 AM, Jonas Ådahl wrote:
The reason for moving away from using subsurfaces for various things is
that they cannot be positioned properly when they extend outside the
parent window (they tend to sometimes go partly off-screen), and should
rather use xdg_popup+xdg_positioner instead.

The problem with that approach, at least if my experience using things
is an accurate representation of the design, is that it's quite
difficult to change or reposition the xdg_popup without first unmaping
the widget.

For example, imagine a popup that can grow in both directions
horizontally, but stay anchor'd to a position off-center.

                      | original size here ... ...   |
         +------------+------------------------------+-------+
         |            |    dx anchor here            |       |
         |            |                              |       |
         +------------+------------------------------+-------+
         | new size        dx anchor still here              |

I've yet to get this to work with the popup without first hiding the
window which gives this really annoying flicker.

But when using a subsurface, it basically Just Works™.

Right. But that is something that should be fixable by improving what
xdg_popups can do, i.e. make them movable. By using subsurfaces, you'll
forever be stuck with partly-off-screen bugs.

Is it not possible to some how use a _move_to_rect() API, and use some
hint we can assume means it needs to be movable, and until xdg_popup is
further extended, make the assumption that we should for now use
subsurfaces?

Jonas

-- Christian