Re: Development with GObjects

Nice work, Pavlo! I wonder if you can work this into a patch for the GObject documentation :-)

You might want to check out https://blogs.gnome.org/desrt/2012/02/26/a-gentle-introduction-to-gobject-construction/ as well.

In my personal style I would do three things differently, I don't know for sure whether I'm correct about these or how widespread they are as best practices:

- It's not necessary to override dispose or finalize if the only thing you do is chain up.
- I would free self->name in finalize instead of dispose, along with any other memory that is fully owned by the MyPoint instance. In dispose, I would only drop any references to memory that had been passed in through MyPoint's API.
- I think it's confusing to have my_point_free() that calls g_clear_object(), since usually g_object_unref() is known as the standard way to release a reference to a GObject, and it doesn't necessarily free the object if there are other references.

Best regards,
Philip C