Re: [gtk-list] Re: Drag and Drop and my patch

On 27 Oct, Elliot Lee wrote:
> On Mon, 27 Oct 1997 Stefan_Wille@public.uni-hamburg.de wrote:
>
>> Hello again,
>>
>> I've seen that the drag and drop test in testgtk
>> uses cursor bitmaps to indicate a drag action.
>>
>> I would like to suggest to use shaped (transparent) pixmaps
>> instead. You can try this out with 'shapes' in testgtk from
>> the patch I just posted.
>
> Cursor bitmaps are the way to go... We don't want to bloat Gtk with a
> thousand features, and X does built-in dragging of this way very easily
> and without overhead. Having to redraw a pixmap on the screen every time
> the mouse moves doesn't sound very efficient to me.

Please consider that when the user drags, I don't have to save cpu
cycles - at this moment, the user doesn't expect the drag operation
to finish as fast as possible, it only has to finish at the moment
he decides to.  Meanwhile he will gladly give me 95% of his cpu.
(and dragged pixmaps need much less cpu)

>> I would suggest to build a GtkDragIcon widget that is more fine tuned
>> than the code in my testgtk-patch. I could take part on such a widget.
>
> OTOH, if you have a patch ready, I for one will definitely look at it :)

yes, and hopefully we will build the dnd together.