Re: [Nautilus-list] Plain Text Problems

* Darin Adler (darin eazel com) wrote at 19:26 on 02/08/00:
> on 8/2/00 3:50 AM, Ali Abdin at aliabdin aucegypt edu wrote:
>
> > There appears to be a problem with the Text component that comes with
> > bonobo :) It seems to want to be able to handle HTML stuff which prevents help
> > from rendering correctly in Nautilus (at least with help/gtkhtml - Mozilla
> > seems to work fine). Here is the text-plain.oafinfo excerpt:
> > <oaf_attribute name="bonobo:supported_mime_types" type="stringv">
> > <item value="text/plain"/>
> > <item value="text/html"/>
> > <item value="special/webdav-directory"/>
> > <item value="text/*"/>
> > </oaf_attribute>
> >
> > I fixed it by removing text/html entry - and everything seems to work fine. I
> > do not understand why the text component wants to handle text/html ;)
>
> I think you may be confused about the notion of "wants to handle" here. The
> text component is saying that it knows how to display this kind of text,
> meaning people can view HTML as plain text if they want to.
>
> There is no problem with this; it's a good idea. However it should be
> redundant. Listing "text/*" should be sufficient and we should be able to
> remove the "text/plain" and "text/html" items above with no effect.
>
> There's a separate mechanism to determine which viewer is the default for a
> given MIME type which has nothing to do with ".oafinfo", which merely
> establishes which viewers can handle a given MIME type. That separate
> mechanism should take care of ensuring that, as shipped, "text/html" is
> displayed as help content, not as plain text. That is where you should be
> focusing your attention to fix the problem "prevents help from rendering
> correctly in Nautilus".
>
> It seems very unusual to me that removing "text/html" from the list above
> has any effect at all.
>
> Maciej is the expert on why this might be so.

Well - yes. Naturally, I assumed something somewhere is finding two
'text/html' supported mime-type's and picks one of them. Unfortunately, it
picks the plain-text component instead of gtkhtml.

I'm not quite sure where to look for that problem. Maciej? can you enlighten
me? Or do you know how to fix this problem?