[Nautilus-list] Re: libxml Issues

on 8/2/00 10:33 AM, Daniel Veillard at Daniel Veillard w3 org wrote:

>> The main reason for this is Nautilus 1.0 is to remain compatible with the
>> GNOME 1.x platform (i.e. 1.2/1.4) - libxml2 is part of the GNOME 2.0
>> platform,
>> so apparently I can only use that once Nautilus begins to use it.
>
> I was against posponing the switch. Check with whoever decided that
> libxml2 would not be used before Gnome-2.0. I have honnestly tried to
> ease the upgrade path, set-up a specific page on the subject, even
> suggested to help about the upgrade without much success.
>
> http://xmlsoft.org/upgrade.html
>
> It is possible to have libxml and libxml2 installed NOW and since libxml2
> was out actually !

Should we switch to use libxml2? I'd be happy to do the code changes needed
to switch, as long as someone else assures me that the install/release
issues are taken care of.

I recall that when libxml2 first came out, we couldn't switch because it was
a case of switching all modules to use libxml2. But Daniel claims that this
is a misunderstanding and that both can coexist. I'm not clear on the
details of what it would require to do this, which is why I'm asking, not
telling.

    -- Darin