[Nautilus-list] Re: libxml Issues

On Wed, Aug 02, 2000 at 10:57:05AM -0700, Darin Adler wrote:
> on 8/2/00 10:33 AM, Daniel Veillard at Daniel Veillard w3 org wrote:
>
> >> The main reason for this is Nautilus 1.0 is to remain compatible with the
> >> GNOME 1.x platform (i.e. 1.2/1.4) - libxml2 is part of the GNOME 2.0
> >> platform,
> >> so apparently I can only use that once Nautilus begins to use it.
> >
> > I was against posponing the switch. Check with whoever decided that
> > libxml2 would not be used before Gnome-2.0. I have honnestly tried to
> > ease the upgrade path, set-up a specific page on the subject, even
> > suggested to help about the upgrade without much success.
> >
> > http://xmlsoft.org/upgrade.html
> >
> > It is possible to have libxml and libxml2 installed NOW and since libxml2
> > was out actually !
>
> Should we switch to use libxml2? I'd be happy to do the code changes needed
> to switch, as long as someone else assures me that the install/release
> issues are taken care of.

  Well that encompasses a bit more than even gnome-hackers :-)
For example I don't think Red Hat will ship libxml2 in their
next version. Except Mandrake I don't know of any distribution
shipping libxml2 now.

> I recall that when libxml2 first came out, we couldn't switch because it was
> a case of switching all modules to use libxml2. But Daniel claims that this

  The problem was that the changes needed to the code were unclean.
It is now possible with recent releases of libxml2/libxml to compile
exactly similar code with both.

> is a misunderstanding and that both can coexist. I'm not clear on the
> details of what it would require to do this, which is why I'm asking, not
> telling.

  It is possible to have libxml/libxml2 installed together. But only
one of the devel packages can be installed at a time. One also cannot
link simultaneously to libxml and libxml2. But both shared libs can
be present and in use in the system.

Daniel

--
Daniel Veillard w3 org | W3C, INRIA Rhone-Alpes  | Today's Bookmarks :
Tel : +33 476 615 257  | 655, avenue de l'Europe | Linux XML libxml WWW