Re: [Nautilus-list] slashdot, demo script and more

First...this is pretty great...lot of under the hood stuff no one will appreciate but some
of us do appreciate it even though we're clueless users and not programmers. Awesome work!

Ok a few questions pertainting to Eazel Preview 1

--How can we remove an emblem from an object after we've attached it?

--I love the vector theme..quite awesome...here's a stupid question can we move files yet?
Copy & Paste...I tried ctrl-c ctrl-v , dragging icons,  I'm using the tree view but I must
be braindead...or it's only text like it says right now.  My ultimate goal is to copy a
mp3 cd to my harddisk but can't figure it out.  Can't we copy & paste files to another
directory?  I thought this is the whole point of a file manager.

--When choosing Edit / Customize ...to show ALL backgrounds you should increase the width
another 10 to 15 pixels so one doesn't have to vertically scroll.

--Previewing text in icons...at 100%, 150% & 200% it shows up but one would think at 400%
it'd almost be readable....will it be or is this intentional?

--Tree view...request...one thing that drives me nuts is the little arrow to EXPAND
subdirectories below.  However when you reach the end within subdirectories you click on
the arrow only to discover this is the end of the line.  So to constantly scan directories
would be rescourse intensive I guess...so how about if one were to click and EXPAND a
current directory..then nautilus would automatically scan ONLY subdirectories below that
paticular directory.  So there won't be arrows on directories when there are no
subdirectories to that directory...comprende amigo?

--Go   menu can't we limit the history down to say 10 or 20...I'm counting 24 now.

--Web Search tab  where one choose lycos, google, etc.  That box is HUGE...how about a
single line with a drop down list.  I'd imagine this list will be user customizable in the
future.

--mp3 the sound seems quite soft and I have to crank my speakers up half way to even hear
a little bit.  Is this in Gnome Control center using sound mixers properties are something

--mp3...each and every directory one must choose View as Music.  Isn't there a way to say
"If there is a directory with an mp3 file by default can we choose View as Music to be
enabled by default.  I have about 25 directories on an mp3 cd and it becomes
tedious..Actually screw this request how about a Hot Key to pop up the little player
instead.

--mp3 and sound...now for a cd with soundbites say 5,000 moving the mouse over and having
it start playing might be cool.  However, I find it definitely annoying.  Say if I'm
listening to something I have to WAIT until it's done until I do anything else with my
computer (move the mouse) otherwise it'll stop playing...come one...this is too much.
Perhaps leave this option but please don't have it enabled by default.

--highlight multiple files...I love this transparency selector...way cool...ok so I select
say 5 files...right click ..open in 5 windows....ok now what's it supposed to do..or
eventually do?

--thumbnails don't look too hot at 400%...semi decent at 200%.  Will there be a way to
specify the pixel size to generate thumbnails...or is that too much?

--thumbnails even in list view...can't we use the list view for SPEED...or do we have to
disable the NEVER show thumbnails in the settings?

--Move to Trash....I envision it'll allow use to have the option to delete it immediately
rather than go sifting through the trash can every now and then?

--nautilus-tree-view  seems to be just a tad unstable if one goes back and forth quickly.
Why does it go to half the size when viewing a directory.

--rpm ..what's the point...how do we install an rpm?  I tried as a regular user and than
su - to root and started nautilus but still can't install an rpm.

--bug...when scrolling the window seems like the video buffer or whatever isn't cleared.
The only way to refresh and get a clean state is to go to another app and come back to
Nautilus.

Most of these questions can simple be answered with "not implemented yet" which is totally
understandable.

On Thu, 17 Aug 2000 16:37:38 -0700