Re: [Nautilus-list] Nautilus now officially dependent on Ammonite when compiled with --enable-eazel-services

Greg Stein <gstein lyra org> writes:

> On Wed, Aug 30, 2000 at 02:22:25PM -0700, Mike Fleming wrote:
>
> Yah, I know, and I consider it a most unfortunate occurrence. I've posted
> here before regarding Neon and the gnome-vfs stuff. The HTTP and DAV code in
> gnome-vfs is at least a year behind Neon (auth, proxy, SSL, better DAV
> support, etc).
>
> In those previous conversations, the answer was always "but gnome-vfs is
> async, so we can't use Neon". Bleh. That is what threads are for (and GNOME
> is already defined to be threaded, so this isn't a Bad Thing(tm) to depend
> upon).

Actually, most GNOME apps try to avoid using threads and build
everything out of an async model. The fact that Gtk+ calls can only be
made safely from one thread at a time makes this a fairly sensible
choice.

The async thing is not quite correct. gnome-vfs actually uses threads
and synchronous internally but presents this to the app through an
async interface. So the async thing should not be a blocker.

However, adding more dependencies to gnome-vfs, especially ones that
are not already tied tot he GNOME release schedule, would be a
pain. So I think we would need to see some major concrete benefits to
using Neon instead of implementing missing functionality directly in
order to switch.

 - Maciej