Re: [Nautilus-list] Color of Icon Caption text

Victor Ganata wrote:

> On Tue, Dec 12, 2000 at 05:07:08PM -0800, John Sullivan wrote:
> > There's a heuristic built in where it tries to decide if your background is
> > light or dark, and uses a dark or light text color based on that. So if that
> > heuristic is working right, changing your background image to a mostly-white
> > one should give you dark text. But maybe there's a bug in this?
> >
> > John
>
> I think it works fine for the most part, actually.  I tried testing it
> a little by using simple images of a black line running obliquely
> across a white background, with varying proportions of black and
> white, and it seemed to always do the right thing when it was mostly dark or
> mostly light.  I guess my problem is really when the image is
> practically half-light and half-dark.  I realize the easy answer is to
> not use such backgrounds, but I kind of miss how I didn't have to
> worry about this when using gmc, because the filenames on the desktop
> are always highlighted.  Would this be feasible to be implemented as
> an option in nautilus?

It's certainly feasible. The main issue is priority and timing for this feature.
We have more ideas for small features like this and bugs to fix than we can
possibly do in time for our 1.0 release. Of course, there will be releases after
the 1.0 release, and we fully intend to keep improving the little details of
Nautilus as well as adding larger new features.

The best way to keep track of issues like this is to enter them in our bug base
at bugzilla.eazel.com. We keep all of our future work in this system, both bugs
and features (and the many things that fall into the gray area in between).

John