[Nautilus-list] nautilus build sucks.

hi all,

yes, it sucks badly.
While all other cvs packages took me some time to get them
to work, nautilus is really a piece of awfull crap when it
goes onto building it in some other place than the GNOME
prefix.

reasons:
  libnautilus/Makefile.am uses $(prefix)/bin/orbit-idl and
  $(data)/idl/Bonobo.idl . Both of these are really evil.
  orbit-idl is 'somewhere' (this was solved in the standard
  GNOME m4 macros (which nautilus do not use) with
  GNOME_GNORBA_HOOK which was called by GNOME_INIT.
  GNOME_GNORBA_HOOK used to call GNOME_ORBIT_HOOK which used
  to define ORBIT_CONFIG and ORBIT_IDL.)
  I have no idea of how to solve this with the current hacked
  gnome.m4 macro file.

I could not get past this stage so... No other comments.

Also, I don't know how to solve beautifully the
$(data)/idl/Bonobo.idl pb because Bonobo could be installed
in some /usr/local/bonobo and you could install nautilus in
/usr/local/nautilus. In such a case, you need a mechanism to
give you the IDL files of a certain package.
To me, the solution to this pb is to add a new --idl flag to
gnome-config. `gnome-config --idl library` should return a
-l$(lib_prefix)/share/idl argument so that you can include
the IDL files from your own app.

Conclusion: the above is why this was CCed to g-h: I think
we really need this new --idl stuff to gnome-config. Any
comments ?

As a side note, my feeling is that the undo hacking which is the
stuff in nautilus which requires these delicate ORBit parameters should
have been  done into a bonobo branch rather than in nautilus.
It would have avoided at least me putting this problem forward.

Mathieu

--
Mathieu Lacage, mathieu gnome org
212 rue de tolbiac, 75013 Paris, FRANCE