Re: [Nautilus-list] HTTP Directory Browsing

"Arlo Rose" <arlo eazel com> writes:

> I think Thomas meant any old web page as a folder view, not just a DAV page.
> I'm not sure how he envisioned this working, but I could see us doing an
> icon view for web pages that gave you a folder full of web links and visible
> media on the page.

Microsoft's Web Folders are based on WebDAV, just like our web folders
in Nautilus. You can't view an arbitrary web page as a folder in
Nautilus, only ones that support WebDAV. The UI for this in IE is also
pretty awkward: you have to use the "Open Location..." dialog and
click on a special checkbox to open a page as a web folder. There's no
convenient way to switch to viewing a page as a folder once already
viewing it as a web page.

Or at least that's how it was last time I heard about it.

So the bottom line is, we do support web folders just like IE, only
with a better UI. But Nautilus probably lacks the general-purpose
authentical features needed to access other online storage services
right now.

 - Maciej