Re: [Nautilus-list] Building 20001020102057 failed on Debian

On Sat, Oct 21, 2000 at 03:43:30PM -0100, Stefan Rieken wrote:
> I followed the instructions for building Nautilus on Debian, which can
> be found on http://gbowland.ucc.asn.au/nautilus-debian.html . I decided
> to also use the prefix of /gnome. So first I set up some environment
> variables accordingly, extracted ORBit, configure make make install.
> Which was followed by oaf, then GConf. I exactly used the --with-prefix
> stuff described in the Debian instructions.
>
> There was an oddity with GConf: it asked me to copy
> /gnome/etc/gconf/1/path.example to /gnome/etc/gconf/1/path to set up
> some reasonable defaults. So, I did.
>
> Then came gnome-vfs. It was unable to find the includes of GConf,
> spitting messages like "gconf/gconf.h: not found". That was strange. The
> Gconf includes were in /gnome/include/gconf/1/gconf/ . What is it with
> this "1" thing with GConf? Half of GConf's binaries were named $name-1
> instead of just $name, as well. Its etc directory used this /1/ thing
> (see above) as well, as did its share dir (though it wasn't used), and
> there was even a /gnome/lib/GConf/1/ dir which contained
> libgconfbackend-xml.a , .la and .so . And all GConf libraries in
> /gnome/lib also ended with -1[.so.foo]. But I noticed that this was also
> the case with my main system's install of GConf.
>
> Not knowing what was wrong with GConf and what was meant to be so, I
> decided to copy /gnome/include/gconf/1/gconf/* to /gnome/include/gconf
> so that I could go on with compiling. However, this time compilation
> aborted with some undefined references to some basic GConf routines such
> as (something like) gconf-init .

Hi,

I put that page up after I'd compiled Nautilus and obviously forgot a few
things :) I had quite a few problems with gconf, as the Helix debs have
dependencies on an old gconf and the programs I was compiling kept linking
against the wrong one.

Make sure you export the variables at the top of the page. If you still get
the problem, I think you can "export GCONF_CONFIG=/gnome/bin/gconf-config".
Basically, you need "/gnome/bin/gconf-config --cflags" and
"/gnome/bin/gconf-config --libs" to be called at the right point. A couple of
times I modified actual makefiles because I haven't spent time learning
automake/autoconf - putting calls to the above programs in the CFLAGS and
LIBS sections seemed to work.

I'm not sure what the correct fix to this is. The configure script has been
given a prefix for gconf and gconf-exec, I'm unsure why it doesn't figure it
out.

Cheers,
Grahame