[Nautilus-list] Directory change signals?

		[ Please CC me; I am not subscribed. ]

 It would be neat if a program could register itself with the OS
 kernel in some way, asking to be informed of any modifications made
 by other processes to the contents of a directory.

 How would that work?  A signal?  `poll' or `select' on the DIR?

 You can `stat' the directory, and see if anything's happened in there
 since last time you checked it.  But it would be better if the kernel
 let you know when something happens, so you don't have to `stat'
 every time through a main loop.

 Can Linux already do that?