Re: [Nautilus-list] Nautilus Feature Idea

Ryan Muldoon wrote:

> I had an idea today for a nice addition to Nautilus - basically, I want to
> see increased application integration through bonobo and gnome-vfs.  My
> idea is to add a "global search" fallback to searching with
> medusa/nautilus.
>
> For example, if I am searching for a radiohead mp3, and it isn't on my hard
> drive, I want nautilus to use a gnapster or gtk-gnutella driver for
> gnome-vfs to find it for me.  The same idea works for a lot of different
> files - tarballs, graphics files, rfcs, etc. Rather than using gnapster,
> nautilus could send a search request to ftpsearch.lycos.com, hotline or
> something similar.  Or the local SMB/NFS/AFS/whatever filesharing system.
> I think that it is basically an extension of how Nautilus already treats
> remote files as it does local files.  The simplest case is probably mp3s,
> since there is a solid infrastructure around searching for music because of
> napster.  But things like Scour and iMesh work for more files as
> well.....the ability to add search services like these into a file manager
> would be pretty powerful.

We definitely have plans similar to what you have described.  We are exploring

ways to do file sharing through nautilus, and we plan to include the ability
search through files that you share.  I hadn't heard the idea of hooking
napster or
gnutella up to gnome-vfs, but it sounds like it has great possibilities.

Also, as far as searching for particular kinds of files, I hope to make this
an easier process.
For music files, for instance, we would like to enable searches by artist or
title, rather
than just by string.

Rebecca