Re: [Nautilus-list] MIME types

On Thu, 26 Apr 2001, Ramiro Estrugo wrote:

> Neven Boric wrote:
> >
> > Hi
> > I have a little problem concerning MIME types when using Nautilus.
> > In my mp3 directory, I have lots of .m3u files (mp3 playlists). Some of
> > them show up as a music file (similar to an mp3) and when I double click
> > them, xmms starts as expected. But, some others apear as a text files,
> > and are even previewed by Nautilus. Dobleclicking them opens the embeded
> > Nautilus text viewer.
> > I checked their MIME types and the ones that show up right have
> > audio/x-mpegurl (M3 audio URL) and the other ones have text/x-c++ (C++
> > source code)
> > Anyone knows why this is happening (I think it's related to wich program
> > created the files), and how to solve it (using Nautilus, or some other
> > way)?
> >
> > Thanks in advance
> > Neven
> >
> > PS: Maybe this has nothing to do with Nautilus, but I don't know where
> > to ask
> >

> It sounds like a bug in the code that tries to sniff out the mime type
> of the .m3u files.  This code lives in the gnome-vfs module.
>
> Can you please file a bug about this at http://bugzilla.eazel.com/ under
> the gnome-vfs component.  Also, please attatch at least one of the .m3u
> files that are wrongly sniffed into that bug report.

I wonder if this could be caused by the invalid XML files written by the
preview releases?

Are the broken .m3u files older and were they viewed with a preview
release of Nautilus while the working ones are newer?  If so, this may be
your problem.

There is a discussion of the problem in the Nautilus Release Notes (under
the Help menu), along with a description of how one can fix the problem
using 'nautilus-xml-migrate <directory>'.

Dan