Re: [Nautilus-list] Viewing PHP files in Nautilus

On 21 Aug 2001 14:01:14 -0700, Darin Adler wrote:

> The tables that guess MIME types for local files are part of gnome-vfs.
> The entry for php says that any file with a .php, .php3, or .php4
> extension should have MIME type of application/x-php (in gnome-vfs.mime)
> and any file that has the string "<?php" near the start of the file should
> have MIME type application/x-php (in gnome-vfs-mime-magic). It's simple to
> correct that if it's wrong. If application/x-httpd-php is the correct MIME
> type, we can switch to that. I'm not sure where the existing MIME type
> came from. Where can I find some reference information that documents this
> MIME type?

When I said "should" be application/x-httpd-php I may have been
overstating the case. What I should have said is that's what's in
/etc/httpd/conf/apache-mime.types.

> The simplest solution would be to define a text/* MIME type for .php files,
>   since the application/* MIME types seem to be in error. This is practical
> if there's no important standard for the MIME types of .php source files
> already. But your message implies that there's an already existing
> application/x-httpd-php MIME type that is a standard that we'd benefit by
> following, so we might be out of luck.

Well I guess it depends on how definitive a guide what apache does is.

While we're on the subject I've just noticed that there is no entry for
*.js files (javascript files). Again, Apache maps that to
application/x-javascript but, from what you've just said, if I set that
in the GNOME Control Centre I'll lose the ability to view them in
Nautilus's text viewer.

D. D. Brierton                    Die Welt ist alles, was der Fall ist
ddb cogsci ed ac uk                    http://www.cogsci.ed.ac.uk/~ddb