Re: [Nautilus-list] More on optimization

On Monday, August 20, 2001, at 11:43  PM, Jeffrey W Balk wrote:

I've been looking at speeding up Nautilus a bit, especially where it comes
to opening a new window with a directory-list, and changing directories in
a directory-list. I think a lot of small fixes need to be made to eliminate any user-noticeable delays -- I've clocked opening a new window at 4+ seconds,
and changing a directory at over 1 second.

Thanks. Help would be appreciated.

I think that a few places that could be improved are:
location_has_really_changed -- This can take 1/2 second.

Well, the work done inside location_has_really_changed is displaying the new location. So I'd expect it to take some time. Profiling it to see what takes most of the time could be useful.

The function calls that call nautilus_file_can_write, nautilus_file_can_read,
etc.

Sorry, I don't get what this sentence means.

Any ideas on how to fix this up are appreciated!

I'd like to help, but I don't know what you are saying here. You are asking how to make things faster? I don't have any specific answers for you.

Is anyone experienced with this area of the Nautilus code who has time to work on it? Is there documentation anywhere so I can try to figure this stuff out
faster?

I'm experienced with this area of the code. Do you have a specific question?

There's some documentation in the nautilus/docs directory, but not very in-depth. It would be great to make some for the next fellow who comes along as you learn about it. I'd be happy to help review the document to ensure it's accurate.

    -- Darin