Re: [Nautilus-list] Xft Anti-aliasing, Libart antialiasing?

On Mon, 2001-12-17 at 09:40, Havoc Pennington wrote:

> David Moles <david moles vykor com> writes:
> > In that scenario, would it be possible to make the XftConfig setting
> > (or *an* XftConfig setting) a global override rather than a default?
> > I'm just envisioning a quarter of the applications forcing hinting,
> > quarter of the applications forcing non-hinting, a quarter of the
> > applications making it a user option, and a quarter of them going
with
> > whatever the default is.... :)
>
> I don't think it's right to force an override; apps may have a
> legitimate reason to want one or the other. Keep in mind that
> different users of XftConfig may want different settings -
> e.g. printing vs. screen.

Yeah -- I can see where even someone who prefers hinted text in their
word processor might want non-hinted for print preview, or where, say,
a graphic artist might want hinting for text in an image intended for
the web and not want it for text in an image intended for print

> If an app has a preference for this, the app is probably on a ton of
> crack. Let's just flame those app authors and get them to fix their
> stuff. Similarly if an app hardcodes a setting for no good reason.  We
> can't really remove needed functionality to force apps to behave.

Fair enough.