Re: [Nautilus-list] MP3 Players

On 02 Feb 2001 01:06:08 -0500, Jeffrey H. Ingber wrote:
> > hopefully it will eventually be useable. What I would like is to be
> > able treat my MP3 player like a mounted file system. I also would like
>
> I've been thinking about this for awhile.  It would be nice if there was
> kernel support for (ie.) RioFS, NomadFS, etc. that could be used in
> conjunction with the device's drivers.  Currently, there's apps. for
> each individual MP3 player that talk to a specialized driver.  It would
> be nice to replace those apps with a mounted filesystem.  That way, you
> wouldn't need any speacial apps at all, and could use your favorite file
> manager/shell to manage the MP3's on the device.  I don't do any work on
> these drivers/apps, but I've always wondered why the filesystem approach
> was not taken; it seems like a *very* obvious oversight.  I have my eye
> set on a portable MP3 player.  When I get the $$$, I'm going to work on
> a filesystem driver for whatever device I purchase.

Something like this could be done at the gnome-vfs level.  GnoCam has
implemented a camera:// URI for allowing Nautilus to treat digital
cameras like mounted volumes.  I'm sure that the same could work for MP3
players.  This would be useful at the bonobo/moniker level as well
(which could be based on the gnome-vfs routines).  Someone just has to
write the backend, and Nautilus can automagically use it.

    --Ryan