[Nautilus-list] A whole list of feauture requests and bugs

Hello,

I have composed a list of new feautures I'd like to see in Nautilus.

- Encrypted folders. There is a loopback encrypted filesystem in The
International Kernel Patch <http://kerneli.org>. It would be great if Nautilus
would pop-up a dialog asking for a password when such a partition is clicked.
It might even convince me to store my passwords on the Eazel server as a
backup.

- CVS integration. I have not yet seen *any* user-friendly interface to CVS
(well, I have but most people don't like the CLI); WinCVS, JavaCVS all have a
horrible interface. It would be great if Nautilus had a CVS-view, this could
be done with clever combination of emblems and extending the property window.
Perhaps Eazel could even offer a for-pay CVS ;-).

- Transparant copying of audio tracks to the hard disk. When a user drags an
audio track (yes, it should be possible to "mount" audio CDs) to the hard disk
then a dialog should pop-up asking what format the song should be stored in,
CDDB should also propose meta-data for MP3s, Ogg Vorbis, etc. This feauture
request is related to the next one.

- Converting file types. I believe that it is possible in Windows using
ZipMagic to rename a folder to folder.zip and have it convert to a ZIP file.
It is also possible to access these ZIP files like normal folders using that
same program, but this is something GnomeVFS already offers. Such a feature
would be great IMHO, though you probably don't want to limit the functionality
based on the extension.

- Movie view. Just like the music view I would like a 'movie' view. Another
useful thing would be to start playing the movie when the mouse is over it.
The sidebar would be the perfect location to play this in as the film would
not hide any icons. This would, however, limit the feauture to those that have
the sidebar turned on.

Then some usability stuff (though I'm not expert):

- The emblems are not accessible enough, right now I have to either go to the
"Edit" menu, click "Backgrounds and emblems..." and possible click "Emblems".
An alternative is to right click an icon, choose "Show Properties" and click
on the second tab. A better way IMHO would be to store the emblems in a side
panel.

- Filters, in the location bar I would like to type /home/jdv/*.txt to see
only text files. Further it would be nice if the "Preferences/Folder
Views/Display" options were available at all time. I used to switch these
using the intermediate and advanced mode but its functionality seems to have
changed.

- The Ski/Preferences... menu should be moved to edit as the ski menu's
functionality seems to have changed. It used to be that the preferences were
dependent on the difficulty level but now the difficulty level only determines
the available options.

Some bugs I've encountered (please note that I'm running Nautilus 0.8 as it
comes with Debian and that I have X screen fonts of 100dpi which is probably
incorrect):

- When I first run Nautilus and the First Time Setup druid comes up, I can
only see the Beginner and Intermediate user level as the dialog is to small.
See attachment.

- When I open the preferences dialog box the first time, the dialog is to
small to show all options. See attachment.

- My trash doesn't work. The files get moved to it but when I click the trash
no items are shown. Also, the File/Empty Trash menu is always disabled.

- If I open/close the home folder from a desktop shortcut then the side panel
is shown larger each time.

- The tighter layout option is not saved.

- If I choose reversed order and I close/reopen the home folder then the
option is saved but disabled. This is because the view is opened in a manual
layout.

- The tree panel still doesn't work (it didn't in 0.5 and it still doesn't
now).

And finally some notes about Nautilus' slowth (I have an Athlon 700 with 256MB
RAM):

- The time between clicking on the home folder icon and having the Nautilus
window show is 1-2 seconds. The I have to wait another 1-2 seconds for the
items to show. Also the Nautilus window flickers a lot until the text is shown
in the files and the items are counted in the directories.

- Except for the flickering browing through directories is fast enough.

- Repainting the desktop (and other Nautilus windows) is still to slow and
shows shadow images.

- If I use the GNOME control panel to change the background while Nautilus is
running then the shadow images are parts of the background loaded when
Nautilus booted or loaded using the Background and Emblems dialog.

Anyway, other than the above bugs Nautilus is sweet. Keep up the good work!

Jonas De Vuyst.