[Nautilus-list] gtk theme compliance

on 1/4/01 12:12 PM, Nicolas Mailhot at Nicolas Mailhot email enst fr wrote:

> Nautilus is already broken enough regarding gtk theme compliance, if you're
> not using the same theme as the developpers half the settings look strange or
> plain wrong and clash with "good" gtk widgets. Right now Nautilus is not a
> classic gtk app nor uses only its own widget set and ends up being really
> confusing (IMHO). When I look at a Nautilus part I have to ponder if it's a
> native gtk one (in which case its color means one thing) or one of the
> numerous Nautilus hacks (in which case the *same* or almost-same color might
> mean something really different).

Bug reports about specific examples of this will make it much more likely
that we'll get them fixed. Some small number of these cases might be
intentional, but many are just sloppy programming of one kind or another.

A good bug report will say precisely what goes wrong rather than observing
that Nautilus is not "good gtk". For example, "using the XXX theme, YYY is
AAA color, but should be BBB color". Even if the fix is to "be gtk" in some
way, it's much easier for us to work with a bug report that describes
specific user-visible symptoms.

    -- Darin