Re: [Nautilus-list] RPM viewing

On Tuesday, July 10, 2001, at 10:29  AM, Jonathan Blandford wrote:

Indeed, though I got a little disheartened when I realized that
trilobite has a pretty big dependency on ammonite, and it isn't
apparently easy at all to extract the RPM viewer from this code.  Given
that ammonite is completely deprecated, and trilobite is pretty
unmaintained, I'm not sure how useful this code is.

I think trilobite is in pretty good shape. But the entire concept of it, where it gets dependency information and packages from the Eazel service, may be obsolete.

On the other hand, the package manager abstraction layer is a nice idea. I don't know how well it was implemented, but I thought that Eskil had the right idea there.

Would it make sense to try to extract the relevant bits from it and try
to create a nautilus-package-view module?  Is anyone interested in
maintaining such a thing?  Or is trilobite interesting enough that it
can be cleaned up and used?

I think it's pretty easy to make a standalone Nautilus RPM view from the old sources. If you look at older Nautilus sources, you can probably even find a pre-trilobite version in there that might help you figure out how to change it back so it calls RPM directly.

The next level of sophistication is to preserve the package manager abstraction layer. In that case, you'd probably have two packages: one for the package manager independence library, and another for the package view (although you could cram them into one for starters).

Everything gets much more exciting when you can wire into a package repository or updater like the old Eazel software catalog or the Red Carpet service or the Red Hat updating service. A really fancy level would be to make the package manager abstraction library also abstract some of the things that these services can do, so that the RPM view can be a point of entry into any of these services.

I don't think any of these tasks are prohibitively difficult. I think it just depends on your appetite.

    -- Darin