Re: [Nautilus-list] ~/Nautilus

I'am just wondering about where is going to land the hardware view link ? In .gnome-desktop ?

Havoc Pennington wrote:

Darin Adler <darin bentspoon com> writes:
The only really useful thing in ~/Nautilus right now is "scripts." I
am moving that to ~/.nautilus-scripts since I believe it's a
configuration file. If it seems hard to find there, we can have a
.desktop file linking to it on the desktop or in starthere:.

Is ~/.gnome/nautilus-scripts better? Sorry to stir things up.

I'm pretty indifferent. I've thought of .gnome as "where
gnome_config_* puts things" but there's the ~/.gnome/apps precedent,
so maybe you are right. Just tell me what to do. ;-)

(This also addresses the rather questionable localization of the
"scripts" filename - localizing filenames makes things break when you
switch locales. .desktop files and .directory files are good solutions
to this.)

Are you also planning to do something about moving existing users' scripts and helping them delete the
~/Nautilus directory?

I can try to cook something up. I'm not sure it's super-important to
do more than system ("mv ~/Nautilus/scripts .gnome/nautilus-scripts")
and then let people delete ~/Nautilus on their own (I don't want to rm
it, maybe they have data in there). Maybe a dialog saying "you can
delete ~/Nautilus if you want, scripts are moved."

If I remove the first time druid, I have to keep the various
initialization side-effects in there that aren't really related to the
druid, and then add this upgrade step to the "first time"
initialization code, right?

I'd like to extend the .desktop files first, then remove the
Nautilus link files after considering providing some migration
tool. But I'd love to replace Nautilus link files with desktop
files, especially if we make the desktop file implementation in
Nautilus at least as good as the old link file implementation.

OK. My first priority is just to establish this as the ideal long-term
direction, so I won't feel bad using .desktop files for the Start Here
link and the stuff inside /etc/X11/starthere. We'll have to support
the link files (or provide a migration script) for a suitably long
time, but there's no point creating new ones.

Thanks,
Havoc