Re: [Nautilus-list] Allowing view components to provide editing (UI and architecture issues)

Maciej Stachowiak <mjs noisehavoc org> writes:

> I decided to start working on adding the ability to make components
> editable and have a reasonable UI for saving and such. Since one of
> the top usability concerns with Nautilus according to Sun's report is
> the fact that the text view does not allow editing, I figure the best
> solution is to make it allow editing.

Just to play devil's advocate, another solution is to open text files
in a separate application, instead of in an embedded view.

It's never been clear to me where views end and apps begin - Windows
Explorer transforms into IE when you view HTML, it doesn't do
something simple like embed an HTML component and merge menus, the
whole shell radically changes to a full-blown web browser.

I think that's basically what you have to do if you go down the road
of always using views instead of apps; you have to transform Nautilus
fully into the app.

Right now isn't the line between views and apps that you can only use
views to view, not to edit? So if you can edit, when does the user
expect an app and when do they expect a view, if they double-click an
icon?

I don't know the best solution, but it confuses me, so maybe it
confuses users too, who knows. ;-)

Havoc