Re: [Nautilus-list] when that call to nautilus_directory_force_reload is not needed

Darin Adler <darin bentspoon com> writes:

> On Tuesday, June 12, 2001, at 04:09  PM, Yoann Vandoorselaere wrote:
>
> > AFAIK, the nautilus_directory_force_reload() in begin_localtion_change()
> > is bogus and should be fixed (*If* I remember right, I had a discution
> > with Darin a while ago about this, and, if I remember right, it is a
> > workaround for a problem (I don't remember which) :-) ).
>
> Basically the force_reload is not needed for local directories if FAM
> is present. So fixing the code to recognize that case and not force a
> reload would help performance a lot for a common case (if most
> distributions install FAM as well as Nautilus).

I just re-looked at the sources, and, AFAICT, the only reason why
calling nautilus_directory_force_reload() in begin_location_change()
is in case the directory was changed (for the user to get a refresh).

This is only valid for currently drawn directory, as we just cache
one directory at a time.

Now, there is two things that could be done :

1) Stats the directory - reload if changed.
   If the directory can't be stated (special files), re-load it anyway.

2) Why do we force a reload for the user to get a refresh when the user
   already have a refresh button ? That is thinking for the user...
   If the user have new file in the currently drawn directory, it
   should use refresh...

Is there something I'm missing ?

--
Yoann Vandoorselaere | An engineer from NVidia, while asking him to release
MandrakeSoft         | cards specs said : - "Actually, we do write our drivers