[Nautilus-list] Re: FAM and the Refresh button

On Thursday, June 14, 2001, at 09:09  AM, David Emory Watson wrote:

	1) For non-local files, for example on NFS, you might still need to
Refresh.
2) For non-local file systems, for example when viewing an FTP server,
you might still need to Refresh.
	3) For views other than the file manager, you might still need to
Refresh. These views could be updated to use FAM to notice changes, but at
the moment the Text, Image, Music, and Web Page views don't do that.
	4) For cases where FAM gets it wrong, it might still be good to
Refresh. Without IMON, FAM can't always get it 100% right, but this is
less important than the other reasons above.

Yep your right.  I never thought about cases 1) and 2)...  That's too
bad, I really dislike the whole idea that the user should need to think
about whether or not they can trust what they see...

We can detect case 2 (and case 3 for that matter). If we can detect case 1 and case 4 too, then we can leave out or desensitize the Refresh button when it's not needed, which would be most of the time. It's not on the top of my list to do, but I'd help someone out who wanted to do it.

I must admit that I find the Refresh button in Nautilus an alien concept because I've used Macintosh for years, and the only Macintosh programs that have Refresh buttons are web browsers. But the kind of notification machinery needed to make that work properly over the network is not found in most network file systems.

    -- Darin