Re: [Nautilus-list] wishitem: ability to define default zoom ratio

On Mon, 12 Mar 2001, John Sullivan wrote:

> on 3/12/01 6:22 AM, Vlad Harchev at hvv hippo ru wrote:
>
> > On Mon, 12 Mar 2001, Vlad Harchev wrote:
> >
> >> On Mon, 12 Mar 2001, Nicolas Mailhot wrote:
> >>
> >> Hi,
> >>
> >> It's nice that this ticket was opened so long ago.. I wonder why it's
> >> post-1.0 item. I don't think Nautilus should compete with Windows Explorer in
> >> inflexibility and pain of use..
> >
> > I just thought again - I think at least allowing to set default zoom ratio
> > (e.g. 100% or 75%, not the ratio of font size to icon size as described in
> > that ticket) should be at least available and it seems it would require 20
> > lines of additional code to support..
>
> You might notice that there are literally thousands of open requests and bug
> reports against Nautilus. If we waited to ship until these were all
> addressed then we would never ship, period.

 Yes, I agree that it's impractical to implement them all, but I think that
only minimalistic support for at least configurability issues would be
sufficient for considerable amount of users.

> It's conceivably possible to add support for such a feature in 20 lines of
> code, but not if you want to have a user interface for choosing it. And if
> you want to have a user interface for choosing it that fits in with the rest
> of the user interface, then there's more work involved.

 I think that it's by far much better provide ability of setting such options
from configuration file only rather than leaving such options completely non
configurable. Yes, UI-based configuration is a nice thing, but if it follows
current approach Nautilus has - after changing any setting it's taken into
account immediately - it requires a lot of efforts to code and thoughts on
usability issues, etc.

 So, I would heartfully suggest to provide ability to configure such aspects
in configuration file only rather than make them completely non-configurable.
Just give options understandable names, and a week later there will appear
thrird-party GtkPerl-based tool that will allow to configure all such options.
Native support for UI-aided configuration of such options could be added even
only in Nautilus 2.0. Just to compare - a lot of aspects of Windoze could be
configured by tweaking registry at least.. I think Nautilus should at lest be
that flexible for gurus. But currently Nautilus doesn't smell that much like
unix product from flexibility POV, unfortunately.

> Adding additional comments to individual bug reports about how important
> that feature seems to you is a good way to record your preferences in a
> permanent way. Overall that is much more likely to eventually end up in
> action than only posting messages to nautilus-list (though posting messages
> to nautilus-list is also useful, and also sometimes will get attention right
> away).

 Thanks for the hint, I will consider it.

 Sorry, no offense intended. I just wish Nautilus to become the best file
manager ever created..

 Thanks.

 Best regards,
  -Vlad