Re: [Nautilus-list] su like capability?

on 3/21/01 1:20 PM, Chuck Shunk at cshunk shentel net wrote:

> Has anyone considered a graphical equivalent of the "su" command for
> Nautilus?  It annoys me no end when I forget I'm logged in with my regular
> user account and try to modify a system file under Nautilus (or any file
> manager, for that matter . . . ) and get a little message saying I can't do
> it.  Wouldn't it be simple to have it come back with a box that says "In
> order to do this action, you need to type in the super-user password:" or
> something like that? (Something like what happens when you run Drak-config
> while logged in with a non-priviledged account, if you know what I'm talking
> about).  Or perhaps there could be a menu-item or button where you could
> switch user identities for the current instance of Nautilus, making it just
> like su.  Personally, I would love both capabilities to be there.

It's a great idea.

It's one that we talked about early on during the Nautilus project, but we
never worked out the details.

I suspect there's even a bug report in bugzilla representing our early
thoughts on this feature, but I wasn't able to find it with a few minutes of
searching through old bug reports.

    -- Darin