[Nautilus-list] su like capability?

Hello everyone,

I'm new to this list, so please pardon me if this has been talked about
before.

Has anyone considered a graphical equivalent of the "su" command for
Nautilus?  It annoys me no end when I forget I'm logged in with my regular
user account and try to modify a system file under Nautilus (or any file
manager, for that matter . . . ) and get a little message saying I can't do
it.  Wouldn't it be simple to have it come back with a box that says "In
order to do this action, you need to type in the super-user password:" or
something like that? (Something like what happens when you run Drak-config
while logged in with a non-priviledged account, if you know what I'm talking
about).  Or perhaps there could be a menu-item or button where you could
switch user identities for the current instance of Nautilus, making it just
like su.  Personally, I would love both capabilities to be there.

I've never hacked Nautilus before, so it'll be quite a while before I'm
comfortable enough to implement this myself, though I think I will
eventually.  I just thought I'd find out if anyone else had thought about
this, or if anyone has any comments about my idea.

Thanks,

Chuck Shunk