Re: [Nautilus-list] Directory Descriptions (Was: I am goingtoimplement cut, copy,paste forfiles)

on 3/22/01 9:04 AM, Joe Sadusk at jsadusk amazingmedia com wrote:

> Well, instead of making yet another file type and yet another thing to
> clutter the interface, at the same time as requiring the installation of
> files all over the file system, why not use the existing "notes"
> interface in the sidebar?  That way the directory descriptions could be
> put into the user's metadata when nautilus first initializes.  It would
> also give the user a chance to see the notes feature in action and give
> newbies a little bit more of a hint on how they work.  The only problem
> you run into is when the user doesn't have the notes tab up, they'd
> never know it was there.  *But* it seems to me like automatically
> popping up the notes tab if you're on a file that has a note would
> probably be a good feature.

In fact there's a second "notes" feature intended for just this sort of
thing. This second type of notes appears under the icon in the main sidebar
display and not in a tab.

We didn't end up taking advantage of the feature for Nautilus 1.0, but the
code for it is still there. Confusingly, the feature is called
"annotations", which sounds like the same thing as "notes". The only
difference is that there's no UI for editing these annotations, and they are
displayed by the sidebar itself, not a sidebar panel.

    -- Darin