Re: [Nautilus-list] Top 21 Nautilus Feature Requests

On Thu, Mar 29, 2001 at 09:00:38AM +0100, Matthew Walton wrote:
> >> 5.  Integrated shell features
> >

> > That would rule ;0)
>
> Oh yes, especially since the shell in Konqueror doesn't work as I
> expected it to - a shell prompt that's tied to the graphical view - so
> that if you cd in the shell prompt you also cd in the graphical view,
> etc, would for me be the perfect solution as I am a real command-line
> freak but I don't like the way ls shows me directory listings. Of
> course, there should also be a way to have shell and graphical view
> seperate from each other, so they aren't bound together... a small
> toggle button could accomplish this I'm sure. Or a menu or something.

Anyone remember playing around with EFM before it was consumed by the e.17
project again?  It had, IMO, the absolute BEST integration of a file manager
into a GUI environment.  I realize that efm and nautilus' goals are nowhere
near the same, but the thing I liked best was the shell integration.

For those of you who didn't ever use it, it worked like like any other file
browser, icons on the desktop, clicking on "root" or "home" opens up a window
with files in it, same as always.  The differece was that by typing in the
root window (ie: nothing selected, but not having to go to a "shell" like in
konqueror) whatever you typed was shown floating above the desktop.  Type in
"/home/alan" and that directory would open up in a window.  That was pretty
cool.  Far cooler though was the actual "shell integration" part of shell
integration :)  When you typed *anything* it was passed to the shell and
executed.  So you could open up your home directory and run "for i in *.foo;do
bork $i; done" and it would do just that.  Same with copy, delete, link
operations. Anything.

There was a lot wrong with EFM of course, probably the reason it was pulled
back into the e.17 fold, but the beauty of this system was the seemless
connection between the GUI and the shell.  You didn't "go" anywhere or "open"
anything to do file operations, you just started typing (assuming another
window wasn't in focus of course).

I know that nautilus is not going to be EFM, or even a better EFM, because of
the methodologies of the two different projects.  However, the above is what I
consider the best kind of shell integration.

> >> 6.  Better browser functionality (inc. Download functionality, Mozilla
> >> related problems etc.)
> >

> > I'd rather have something like Gnome Transfer Manger (used in Galeon)
> > for this.
>
> I'd rather not see the browser stuff at all. Can we not just get a
> decent filemanager first? If I wanted a web browser I'd install Mozilla.
> Oh, wait, I already did...

Go galeon :)   All the rendering power, none of the bloat (you did say you
wanted a browser right, not a mail, news and html composer? :)  I agree with
the above though.  While being able to browse from your file window a la
windows 98, getting a first class file manager should be the first order of
business.

Regards,

alan

--
Arcterex <arcterex userfriendly org>   -==-   http://arcterex.net
"I used to herd dairy cows. Now I herd lusers. Apart from the isolation, I