Re: [Nautilus-list] what's happening to Nautilus, other packages (Eazel)

On Tue, May 15, 2001 at 09:23:53PM -0300, Cesar Cardoso wrote:
> >       trilobite -- The main purpose of this library is to support Eazel
> > Services. The maintainer, Eskil Heyn Olsen <eskil olsen sol dk> may want
> > to keep it going. There's some good package management stuff in here,
> > including the Nautilus package view, but I think it's more likely that he'
> > ll retire it soon.
> >
> It's a real pity - Eazel Services was an interesting idea. Hope that
> ammonite and trilobite won't be retired; maybe the distros into those
> services business (RedHat? Progeny?) can use it.

Well, not to gloat but the Eazel installer is still technically the best
installer for RPM around. I'm hoping we can work out a way to write a
backend to talk to different servers. I know Eskil and Robey put a lot
of work into writing the logic, and most importantly making sure it always
works right - even on completely broken systems - *especially* on really
broken systems.

> >       tinderbox -- Having a Tinderbox for Nautilus and the packages it uses
> > has been really great during the development of Nautilus 0.1 through 1.0.3.
> >   One of the best parts for Nautilus testing was the availability of
> > "hourly" builds in both source form and RPM packages. Ian was even working
> > on making "hourly" builds in Debian package format too. Robin Slomkowski
> > <robin slomkowski net> is willing to work with other GNOME hackers to get
> > one set up. He knows a lot about making both the Tinderbox server itself
> > and the build machines work smoothly. You might want to send him mail if
> > you are willing to work with him.
> >
> Why not extending the tinderbox idea to the whole GNOME?
> This should be integrated with GNOME Packaging Project, IMHO, to produce
> builds, maybe other-day builds, or even daily.

I'm interested in setting up my SGI as a build server / tinderbox for lots
of GNOME. I'm planning on getting Robin's help to get that started, initially
for modules I'm interested in but I'm more than happy to do it for just about
anything. Tinderbox was a really great tool for us at Eazel and I think it'll
help GNOME work sooner on more platforms if things turn red when people
check in bad code ;-)

Enjoy,

Ian