Re: [Nautilus-list] Re: GNOME user environment brainstorming

On Fri, May 25, 2001 at 03:59:57PM +0100, Calum Benson wrote:
> John Fleck wrote:
>
> > In addition to the speed question, one of the things that usability
> > research suggests[1] is that the help file displayer should be small
> > enough that it doesn't obscure the gui of the app you're trying to get
> > help with.
>
> Which is why "a book" is still my favourite help system by a very long
> way  :o)

The same I research I was referring to (now I'll have to dig up the
reference) found empirically that the book was best. I recently
rearranged my desk to create a book spot underneath my monitor and
above my keyboard. :-)

I may be mangling my references, but here's the book one:

Hertzum and Frokjaer, ACM Transactions on Computer-Human Interaction,
Vol. 3, No. 2, June 1996.

It seems to me like this is the one that referenced not getting in the
way of your gui, but I can't find the passage.

Cheers,

--
John Fleck
jfleck inkstain net (h)