[Nautilus-list] Big performance problems (was: Help finding must-fix for 1.0.5 bugs)

> But I'd like to fix any major problems that are either new since the 1.0.4
> release, or so bad that they are worth slowing down the gnome 2 project to
> get fixed.

On my machine:

Startup time (until all elements are rendered, subdirectories counted,
etc)

   1.0.4: 24 seconds
   CVS: 46 seconds

Startup time 2 (until initial window and desktop have loaded all icons
and are "usable")

   1.0.4: 18 seconds (background image still rendering)
   CVS: 40 seconds

Open "music" folder from desktop (lots of custom images for each album,
about 100 sub-dirs, from double click until all icons are loaded):

   1.0.4: 11 seconds
   CVS: 20 seconds

But this doesn't highlight the more painful problem, which is that in
CVS Nautilus the icons dance around like crazy and its constantly
inserting icons for about 12 seconds. Its annoying, plus the throbber
stops at about 10 seconds. Also there's the much talked about jerking
problem.

In 1.0.4 it doesn't draw (at least not that I can see) until everything
is loaded. The user experience is *MUCH* smoother, even aside from the
speed disparity.

Maybe something on my system is configured wrong ???

-Seth