Re: [Nautilus-list] Change committed that may affect the slowness

On Fri, 2001-10-12 at 21:33, Darin Adler wrote:
> If you hare one of the people who experienced slower performance with
> nautilus HEAD than with 1.0.4, please give it a try again with the change I
> just committed ("Change hysteresis value") and report the results to me.

OK, hard numbers with this change..

Full startup time:

old CVS: 46 seconds
CVS: 32 seconds
1.0.4 (for reference, haven't retimed): 24 seconds

"Music folder" double click from desktop until done loading:

old CVS: 20 seconds
CVS: 13 seconds
1.0.4: 11 seconds

So the patch did improve things. Here's the bizarre phenomenuum I'm
seeing, in both initial startup (on the desktop & in the window) and
opening the Music folder:

A number (5-15) icons display initially really really quickly. No
particular rhyme or reason to the ones that display quickly (e.g. some
normal files, some folders, some with custom icons, etc) that I can
find. The throbber stops a few seconds later (and I don't think I'm
seeing any more disk accesses). Then the whole UI freezes for several
seconds (more on desktop startup than on opening the music folder)...and
all of the sudden all of the other icons appear (with sub-directory
counts already completed, I think) and its done loading and totally
responsive.

-Seth