Re: [Nautilus-list] Icon directory contents caching

On 15Oct2001 07:43PM (-0400), Havoc Pennington wrote:

> Maciej Stachowiak <mjs noisehavoc org> writes:
> > One down side to this, though, is that every monitoring implementation
> > would _have_ to give you a file descriptor you can wait on - it
> > _can't_ just rely on periodic active polling on a separate
> > thread. This means that you'd need a monitoring daemon for any module
> > that wants to implement monitoring by polling.
>
> To avoid requiring an fd, you could pass back a main loop source,
> instead of an fd, perhaps. (Obvious disadvantage is that you require
> the main loop, positive is that you avoid the down side you just
> mentioned.)

Since the whole goal was to not require the glib main loop for the
sync API (not sure if this is a good goal, but others have cited it as
one they care about), I'm not sure this helps. If we're going to
require the main loop, we may as well dispatch callbacks even in the
sync API.

 - Maciej