Re: [Nautilus-list] Cvs nautilus problems

On Thu, 2001-10-18 at 03:25, Alfons Hoogervorst wrote:
> Lo,
>

> | i've also been experiencing the 5-second freeze during directory loads.
> | i turned off fam in /etc/inetd.conf, killed it's process and restarted
> | nautilus, but the problem remained.  load time is ~10 seconds on a
> | 650mhz athlon with 256 megs of ram for a directory with 25 items total:
> | 6 sub directories, 10 images, and some text files.  fam had no effect on
> | this, either.  hope this information helps :)
>
> In a more or less the same config, I'm still at 40 seconds. :( Are you
> suggesting Nautilus isreading the entire ~ dir when starting up the file
> manager?
>
> Bye.

i'm not sure about that.  i just wanted to show that the freezing effect
wasn't related to fam.

also of interest, i've noticed that when you load large directories
without any subdirectories, it loads instantly--no freeze at all.
however, if i make a few subdirs, it'll freeze on reload.  for instance,
/usr/sbin on my machine only contains files (121), and it loads in the
blink of an eye.  if i create even one subdirectory, it'll stop  for
about 5 seconds before displaying the number of files in the subdir (0);
if i create more than one subdir, it will only display one subdir, stop
for ~5 seconds, and then display all the other subdirs properly.