Re: [Nautilus-list] open in this window / shortcut behavior

On Tue, 2001-10-30 at 10:30, Darin Adler wrote:
> on 10/30/01 10:22 AM, Benedikt Roth at Benedikt Roth gmx net wrote:
>
> > So you could generally use eg. the Ctrl-key to temporarily change the option
> > "Open each file or folder in a separate window".
>
> That sounds OK.
>
> But personally, I don't like keys that toggle options, because that means
> they might do something different on each computer, and you have to try
> things twice to remember which way this computer is set. For example, on
> Macintosh, holding the command key when you drag turns the grid on if it's
> normally off and turns the grid off if it's normally on. This drives me
> nuts.

Yeah -- having Ctrl, say, *consistently* mean "do not open each file
or folder in a separate window", even if that's what you already have
your prefs set to, is probably a better idea for the average user --
though power users would probably prefer it as a toggle.

(But, please, don't make it a user option! :>)

(It's funny how free software tools designed to make things easier for
the average user -- e.g., GNOME as a whole -- end up getting taken over
by a new generation of power users. :>)